Wednesday 20 February 2013

Back to square one with Rhubarb time-lapse.

Things were going well.

Too well.

Except for one thing.

On my first practice run I encountered a 'semi' corrupt San Disk CF card.

Which meant that some images could not be read, but others could.

Strange, very strange, but I put it down to a card which was not in its first flush of youth and it did have a ding in the casing.

So I used one of my loved and trusted Hoodman cards which have never let me down, and are lightning fast.

So test run two, downloaded the card.

Or I tried to.

I could not download all the images.

At 220 frames, the exact same image count as the San Disk which I thought had failed me.

A bit of scrabbling about on the net revealed the fault, which was all mine.

When the Canon 5D Mk1 was launched there was no provision for the monster CF cards that I was using in it, which led to all sorts of CF card problems.

I needed to update the firmware from 1.0.3 to 1.1.1 to make it work with them.

So here I am back to square one, a lesson learned.

If you are going to offer up the shutter of a Canon 5D mk1 to the photography gods in a multi week time-lapse with a fat CF card just make sure you have the right firmware.

6 comments:

Libby said...

Drat! Drat! Drat! Sorry to hear this.

I have an old Kodak DCS PRo SLR/n here and the camera goes absolutely batty if I put anything bigger than a 2GB card into it ;-) It's fun to watch - the camera just spits and wheezes. Since I only use the camera for some product shots and a few portraits, I use my old reliable 512MB CF cards.

Oh well, onward we go with your project. Good luck!

Bill Giles said...

Well, I hope that the Rhubarb hasn't grown enough that you have to start all over. Better to find out now than to be almost done.

Unknown said...

Yes indeed, good to find out now to capture that growing action if and when it ever happens.

Ah for a little patience.

Drew

Pat Morrissey said...

I'm really looking forward to seeing how ths pans out - I have a similar wee project involving spring bulbs. Using continuous light, though. Good luck!

Unknown said...

Hi Pat,

It is curiously much more fun than I thought it would be it has become, whisper it, an obsession.

What plants do you intend featuring?

I realise the flash aspect of the time lapse is a left field aspect of the project.

Also I'm shooting Raw, something I have never previously done on a time lapse, all in the pursuit of quality, possibly allowing zooming in while maintaining 1080p resolution.

In fact I have been contemplating shooting a time lapse on a Phase One.

Yes, I know it's bonkers but think of possibilities of cropping.

It would mean getting hold of a sacrificial Mamiya AFD whose shutter I could afford to wear out. I have gone as far as exploring this possibility on Ebay.

A sickness indeed.

Regards

Drew






Pat Morrissey said...

Hi Drew, I'm aiming to do narcissus, tulips and maybe primroses. It's for fun, so I'm shooting jpeg. I've a streptocarpus just about to flower, so I'm doing that for a dry run. I'm using a triggertrap as an intervalometer with a D300 at 12 min intervals. About 260 exposures gone and the buds are just breaking!
How's thr rhubarb going?