Thursday 9 July 2009

Total Recall...Not quite


I love Canon cameras, they have been my DSLR of choice, and before that I bought my first 'proper' camera , a Canon A1 with my paper round money in 1980.

I use the stunning 5d Mk2 at the moment, a camera I LOVE

As followers of this blog will know, I'm an advocate of good prime lenses, but sometimes a zoom just hits the spot

My 'standard' zoom lens is the Canon 24/105mm F4 'L' Series, a good all rounder

Particularly useful for this type of classic slow shutter speed zoom

3.2sec at F16 on a tripod of course and then zooming slowly in.

Perfect for a simple dynamic shot which the client loved

But this shot has been enhanced by a quirk of a lens defect

Check out this weird striped flare from the headlamp



Early Canon 24/105 lenses were afflicted by a strange type of flare which only occurs under a certain type of light

In fact Canon issued a 'Lens flare advisor note'


If you sent your lens to Canon they would fix it for you, free of charge

Needless to say, I like the unique effect and have chosen NOT to send it back

I'm just aware of it and choose when to exploit this quirk

vive la différence!

5 comments:

Natalie said...

ughhh you're shooting on a 5d mark ii!? le sigh..one day. hopefully by christmas :]]

Unknown said...

Hi Drew

Memories of the Canon A1 - oh yeah!

Bought mine in Crawley after working my nuts off as a school boy cleaning cars. Never had a camera since that produced images so sharp as came out of the A1 + 50mm f1.4 lens.

Unknown said...

Watch this space for more adventures with the 5d mk2 !

Worn out right now, body and brain acing from an amazing game changing shoot today

It was so exciting and rewarding

The Canon A1 was my dream as a school boy and still represents what I have worked for ever since

Unknown said...

i'm pretty sure it's just light bouncing back from the road's surface... no?!

Unknown said...

Dear Ofir

I have lots of samples in certain conditions!

It is a known issue on pre recall lenses

If you have time and you dig around you will find a few examples of this out there

Cheers

Drew